Monday, April 2, 2012

lip-smacking good: brownies


photo via
Ever since I heard about the wonders of flaxseed, and its ability to serve as a good egg substitute from one of my veggie friends, I've been wanting to try baking with it.  Despite my love of fried-egg sandwiches and baked goods, I frequently find myself throwing out eggs that have expired.  Flaxseed has a longer shelf life than eggs, and I am trying to minimize the amount of dairy I consume at home (so far I've eliminated milk from my refrigerator).  I loosely followed the recipe below, substituting flaxseed and for eggs.  For

The goods
  • Soft butter, for greasing the pan
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed, whisked with 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 8 ounces melted butter (or 3/4 cup of vegetable oil if you want to make vegan brownies)
  • 11/4 cups cocoa,
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
photo via
The method

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter an 9-inch round pan.
Use a whisk to beat the flaxseed and water in a medium bowl.
Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 45 minutes or until done.
Remove to a rack and cut into squares once cool.
The brownies were delicious and no one was the wiser about my flaxseed experiment.  I will definitely be using flaxseed in baking from now on, although I might have to keep a few eggs around since I'm guessing a fried flaxseed sandwich just wont do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...