Wednesday, March 28, 2012

rooster. or how i discovered fried egg sandwiches.


child renderings of roosters can be found all over the restaurant 

If you live in St. Louis, you've no doubt heard of Rooster, the breakfast crepe, sandwich cafe downtown on Locust.  The restaurant owned by David Bailey (who also owns Bailey's Chocolate Bar, Bridge Tap House and Range), has won numerous awards for their menu and atmosphere, and they have not dissapointed.  Several weeks ago, I introduced a few friends to Rooster, and they were also pleased.  I always like to split food when I go out to eat so I can try a few different things.  But, there were no takers, so I had to think creatively.  Wanting to have something both sweet and savory, I opted for the least expensive savory thing on the menu: a fried egg sandwich.  I figured this would enable me to get my savory and sweet fix without breaking the bank.  I'd never tried a fried egg sandwich, but the ingredients looked pretty good, and I was feeling adventurous.
  
the fried egg sandwich in all its glory
photo via
Wow am I glad I tried the fried egg sandwich.  It was satisfying enough that I didn't even end up wanting a sweet crepe (though I did get a few bites of another friend's dessert).  Since discovering this sandwich, I've gone back again to order it.  It is my go-to thing when I venture into Rooster now.  And Iive looked up recipes so when I'm in the mood for one, but don't want to go all the way downtown, I can make it for myself.



Do you have a favorite food you discovered by accident?  What is it?  How did you come across it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...