Monday, February 6, 2012

artist crush: lulie wallace

photo via
 Lulie Wallace's paintings are some of my favorites.  I love how cheerful they are, the bright colors and the beauty and dimension in the flowers.  I also love that they are reasonably affordable. I recently bought myself one as a Christmas present.  As you might imagine, I think it is even more beautiful in person.  Here are some of my favorite Lulie Wallace paintings.

photo via

Lulie paints out of Charleston, SC at a studio space at the non-profit community art center, Redux with 26 other local artists.  She also works at Indigo, a local gift store.  She started painting florals during her senior year at the College of Charleston and has been painting flowers ever since.  She used to purchase local flowers from a florist, but soon tired of painting the same types of flowers for a month at a time.

photo via

She has expanded her subjects to include pictures of wedding bouquets.  She also takes commissions, and some women send in pictures of their own bouquets for her to capture on wood panels.  The wood panels that she paints on provide a texturized foundation for each painting.

photo via
Lulie hopes that people will look at her artwork and feel that it represents "something they never would have pictured in still life. I want it to make the viewers think, ‘That’s something I never would have expected.’”

photo via

Check out more of Lulie's work here and here.

*Biographical information and quotes from Lulie's personal blog, or the Charleston City Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...