Thursday, February 2, 2012

lip-smacking good: part 1: parmesean bread



This is part one of a super easy, but delicious dinner you can make in no time flat, using a few ingredients.  Joe and I made this meal a few nights ago and were kind of pleased with ourselves. 

First up, parmesean bread. Props to you if you make your own bread, but I don't have a breadmaker.  I do, however, love me some bread, especially when I'm having soup or salad.  I also made this bread back when I made clam chowder, and got compliments on it then as well.

Several years ago, I came up with this recipe/assembly for parmesean bread:

The Goods:
a loaf of bread (any kind, but I prefer whole grain bread in slices)
a few tsp. olive oil or some butter to lather the bread in
two roma tomatoes or several golden grape tomatoes
1/2 c parmesean (can use the powdery kind, but I prefer the long slices.  Can get a parmesean blend at Trader's that is excellent)
oregano to taste

Directions:


Place the desired amount of bread onto a cookie sheet.  Spread butter or olive oil on bread.



Sprinkle parmesean on top.  Slice the tomatoes and place on top of the parmesean.  Place the cookie sheet on the top shelf of the oven and broil for under two minutes.

full disclosure: this is what happens when you leave the bread under the broiler a little too long.  a rookie mistake!

Watch carefully, as the broil setting is very hot on the oven and can cause the bread to go from not quite done to very overdone in a matter of seconds.

second, much more successful attempt, pictured with an asparagus and strawberry salad

Remove from oven, plate and serve.  Next up, the asparagus and strawberry salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...