Wednesday, February 22, 2012

lip-smacking good: sharp cheddar and sparkling apple cider fondue

sharp cheddar and sparkling apple juice fondue with bread, apples and peppers for dipping
I love me some fondue.  When my parents got a fondue pot several years ago, my mom set to work making delicious cheese and chocolate recipes and I was hooked.  Fondue combines my preference for sampling little bits of several things (or, in this case, a little cheese or chocolate on several things), with the urge I often get to dip my food in something (cookies in milk, bread in soup, donuts in coffee).  And that's not even to mention the fun parties you can have with fondue on the menu.  There's something intimate and fun about sharing stories over a pot of melted cheese.  There are even games you can play while eating fondue.  One I know of involves anyone who loses their bread, apple, brocolli in the fondue must tell an embarrassing story about themselves on the spot.  Have I sold you yet?

My mom and I got so good at making fondue, that we believe our recipes rival the Melting Pot.  Lest you think I'm a total braggart, our opinion has been echoed by friends and strangers alike.  So when I found out about the Crafty Pinterest Potluck happening in my city at the Upcycle Exchange this Friday, I knew I had to come with fondue.  My go-to cheese fondue recipe is a sharp cheddar and sparkling apple cider fondue.  It calls for a pinch of nutmeg, too which really sends it over the top in my book.  Without further ado or fanfare, here is the recipe.

the goods
4 C sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/2 T cornstarch
1 C sparkling apple cider
1/4 C lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

bread, granny smith apples, peppers, and any other vegetables or fruits for dipping
 directions
1) combine the cheese and cornstarch in a medium bowl
2) place your fondue pot on the burner and turn the heat to medium
3) add the apple cider and lemon juice to the fondue pot and stir together
4) wait a few minutes for the liquids in the pot to warm
5) begin to add your cheese/cornstarch mixture to the fondue pot in handfuls, stirring as you go
6) as the cheese in the pot begins to melt, add more until you've reached the bottom of the bowl
7) during this time, you can also be cutting up the bread, apples, etc you'll be using for dipping
8) stir in salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
9) turn the burner to med/lo
10) at this point you can either dish the cheese into individual bowls or take the fondue pot to the table and place a tea light under it to keep the fondue warm

enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...