After scouring the web for contact paper or wallpaper in a design I liked, I found contact paper with a brass-colored bamboo design at TJ Maxx. While there were a few designs I liked better, I couldn't argue with the sub $10 price tag of the bamboo paper.
If you want to similarly change the surface look of your bar cart:
1. Thoroughly clean your bar cart.
2. Carefully measure the shelves to be covered. Use kraft paper to make a pattern for your surfaces.
3. Cut kraft paper to size using measurements, and place on shelves of bar cart to ensure that pattern fits the surface area perfectly. Modify pattern if needed.
4. Use pattern to cut contact paper to size.
5. Carefully place contact paper on first bar cart shelf, and press firmly with a straightedge ruler to
create a smooth surface without air bubbles.
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 with second shelf.
I am really satisfied with the way this DIY turned out and have used my bar cart for several get-togethers since moving in.